Saturday, July 15, 2017

Listening to Music-A Better Way

Long ago I made the decision to switch to digital music-that is-I don't buy CDs anymore and I don't subscribe to streaming music. There are plusses and minuses. The plus is convenience and reliability. I have my music wherever I need it and by and large it sounds ok. I wasn't entirely comfortable with the tradeoff in sonic quality, but have learned to live with it. I was talking with a colleague about this and he is a true audiophile. He suggested I try a program called Audirvana Plus. This program has changed my listening life. It upsamples my digital music and I'm hearing things that I haven't heard before-ever-not on vinyl, not on CDs and not even on my 8-tracks! There are a couple of things it won't do, but they are minor and surmountable. Audirvana won't play tracks that have DRM on them. I have some of those, but I just delete them and re-download them from iTunes. The other thing is won't do is utilize Airplay, but again it was a problem with an easy solution. Run a cable with an 1/8" jack to my amp and I'm all set. I really thought that at some point I would bite the bullet and get back into vinyl and an audiophile system when the kids are all graduated from college and I have money again. I'm rethinking that strategy. I will eventually upgrade the sound system, but I'm not going back to vinyl. By the way, my problem with streaming music is two-fold. I don't think that artists make enough money from the streaming services and I think that the fidelity of the music suffers too much. Yeah it's convenient, but I'll stick to iTunes downloads.