Saturday, July 15, 2017

The Band and Greil Marcus

I love the music of The Band. I have loved it since I heard The Weight and It Makes No Difference toward the end of undergrad school in 1985. There is precious little written about The Band. Two of the members wrote autobiographies (Robbie Robertson and Levon Helm) and Barney Hoskyns wrote a biography titled "Across the Great Divide", but my favorite writing about The Band comes from the mind of Greil Marcus. I know that he's perhaps not everyone's cup of tea, but I love his writing. He wrote what I consider to be the first great book on rock and roll-"Mystery Train" and followed it with a book about Bob Dylan and The Band and the Basement Tapes called both Invisible Republic and The Old Weird America. This is all prologue to the discovery of his website. It's wonderful! I really enjoy his Q and A section. It's a mix of long answer with a few Gregg Popovich-like responses. If you're interested you can check it out at https://greilmarcus.net
If you haven't read Mystery Train you're missing out. He covers Robert Johnson, Harmonica Frank Floyd, The Band, Randy Newman and Elvis Presley. The Presley chapter is stunning. It's not comprehensive in the way Peter Guralnik's Elvis books are, but it's remarkable writing.