Saturday, August 5, 2017

Guy Clark, Townes Van Zandt and Country Music

I had a sleepless night recently and the only coping mechanism I could find was watching Be Here to Love Me. It's a documentary about the life and art of Townes Van Zandt. The women in my life are not big fans of Townes, so I generally watch that documentary by myself using headphones. I love the movie and frankly, why invite strife? Moving on...there are several moments in the movie where Guy Clark talks about Townes but one is striking. Clark reflects that: "I saw him do stuff, man when he was just perfect...playing his heart out, songs that just took your breath away. That's our job, is to try to hit that mark". There is a bit of paraphrasing going on, but for the most part that's the quote. Guy Clark is right about Van Zandt (ask Steve Earle and he'll say the same) but it made me realize that Guy Clark has not been giving proper credit for the beautiful, moving and lasting work he did as a songwriter and a performer. This morning I was listening to a few of Guy Clark's songs including LA Freeway, Fort Worth Blues, Queenie's Song, Dublin Blues and some others. I admire writers who can say a lot with economy. I wish I could do it. It's even more remarkable when it happens in the context of a song. Lines like "New Year's Day in Santa Fe broke mean and it broke cold" or "I am just a poor boy, work's my middle name. If money was a reason, well I would not be the same" and finally from Fort Worth Blues " You used to say the highway was your home, but we both know that ain't true. It's just the only place a man can go when he don't know where he's travelin' to". Singular lines that put you in a place or time or state of mind. When I was a younger man I had no time for country music. It was too...something. I don't know, but it wasn't for me. I haven't felt that way in a long time. As I approach age 55 country music makes more sense and fills in the blanks. I wasn't planning to write today, but when I started listening to Guy Clark I just had to write down these feelings. They are what makes this music so important to life.