Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Glen Campbell

Glen Campbell has been a part of my musical life for nearly all of my life. My dad brought home By the Time I Get to Phoenix and Wichita Lineman when I was in third grade. I learned all of those great songs and I wanted to be Glen Campbell. I lost track of him after Southern Nights and I think that maybe he lost track for a while as well. Regardless, this man was a giant. He could play anything. Sing anything. His interpretations were always my favorites. I remember how much Tim Hardin's song Reason to Believe meant and means to me because of the Glen Campbell cover. Wichita Lineman was his as was Galveston. Where's the Playground Susie, Homeward Bound, Ann, I'll be Lucky Someday, the list just goes on and on. Only Art Garfunkel rivaled Campbell as an interpreter of Jimmy Webb's songs. His versatility allowed him to play with the Wrecking Crew and the Beach Boys and then become a major solo act.
Today he died. I will miss him though I didn't know him. He recorded a song in 2011 titled A Better Place. He sings "One thing I know, the world is good to me. A better place awaits you, you'll see".
I hope so.
Glen Campbell (1936-2017)